In 1929, Hitler moved to a luxury nine room apartment on Prinzregentenplatz 16. The apartment was on the second floor and included two kitchens and two bathrooms. Its publisher initially paid for it; a decade later Hitler paid for it in full.Eventually, the entire building became the property of the Nazi party.
The apartment was furnished with furniture and decorations designed by Gerdy Troost, widow of the architect Paul Ludwig Troost, a member of the Nazi party and Hitler’s architectural adviser.
Hitler continued to live in the apartment until 1934, when he became Germany’s Führer and Reichskanzler. Subsequently, Hitler maintained the apartment, but spent most of his time in Berlin or his Berghof residence.
Hitler sometimes used the Munich apartment for high level diplomatic meetings. On September 25, 1937 he met there with Benito Mussolini while trying to convince Mussolini to agree on his plan to annex Austria to Germany; the leaders accepted a strengthening of the Axis pact. He also met with British Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain in the apartment on 30 September 1938, following the signing of the four power Munich Accords.
When the Allies occupied Munich in 1945, they found the apartment exactly as Hitler had left it.Vogue photographer Lee Miller caught the public imagination by taking a bath in Hitler’s tub.The building served as the headquarters of the American Section during the immediate postwar period.
Today, the building still stands and is occupied by the Munich Financing Office for the state of Bavaria. The second floor, Hitler’s former apartment, houses the headquarters of the regional police of Munich and is not open to the public.