After the complex on the Obersalzberg assumed much greater importance in the Third Reich government, Hitler decided to build a second government seat in the Berchtesgaden area. This second Reichskanzlei (Reichs Chancellery) building and complex was built in 1936-37 in Stanggass, just northwest of Berchtesgaden.
This Berchtesgaden Kanzlei was surrounded by a small complex of staff and security buildings, and served as a diplomatic center. The U.S. Army took the site over in 1945, and it served as the headquarters for the Berchtesgaden Recreation Area and Armed Forces Recreation Center until 1995.
This Adolf Hitler bust was removed, along with several chairs and other furniture items, from the Berchtesgaden Chancellery at the end of the US occupation. On the base is the label with the official catalogue details attesting to it’s ownership by the United States.