Since Reichsleiter Martin Bormann was interested in farming, he built an experimental farm as part of the Obersalzberg complex. Although this farm was to serve as a model for other farms in the Third Reich, it was never particularly successful. Bormann’s farmers raised cattle, horses, and pigs here. The Gutshof complex also included bee houses, waterworks buildings, a smithy, and various other structures in the pastures and meadows. The main buildings were not substantially damaged during the April 1945 bombing, and the main part of the farm was appropriated by the American forces and turned into a sports lodge and golf course, with skiing in the winter. Since the Americans left the Obersalzberg in 1995 the Gutshof has functioned as a golf club and restaurant.