After the 101st Airborne Division took over control of the Obersalzberg from the 3rd Infantry Division around May 4-5 1945, they locked the area down and visitors need written approval to enter all high-level buildings.
One such visitor was Lt. Le Jambre of 7th Army. His written authorization came from Virgil B Smith of HQ Co 327th Glider Infantry Regiment, who gave him permission to “go into the tunnel of Hitler’s house and procure a few cups, saucers and other such souvenirs available in the kitchen.”
Le Jambre’s haul comprises a silver AH-monogrammed dinner knife, luncheon knife, luncheon fork, salad fork, and dinner spoon, He also took a linen napkin with a hand-embroidered AH monogram. This checkered pattern is well documented, and matches that of the tablecloth used in the Berghof dining room.