This 10” diameter hand-painted bowl was part of a much larger set presented to Hitler at the Berghof by Admiral Miklós Horthy (1868-1957) of Hungary in 1937. The name of the pattern is VBO (“Victoria with golden rim”), named after its first customer, Queen Victoria of Great Britain.
The reverse of the bowl shows the Herend Porcelain manufacturing mark; the eagle with swastika; and an arm clutching a sheaf of corn – denoting Horthy’s coat of arms.
The bowl was removed from the Berghof by a pilot in the US airforce, who lived in Seattle.
Several other examples of this set have come to light over the years, but most were destroyed after allied troops arrived at the house in May 1945. Another example is also on permanent display at the 45th Infantry Division museum in Oklahoma.